Becoming Memorable

     I never thought I was a person worthy of being remembered.  All my life, I wanted to just blend in with everyone else and mind my own business with as little interaction as possible.  Spending the energy to maintain a conversation was exhausting, and I couldn't keep up.  When did I become this way?  So distant, so unwilling to embrace journeys, and so afraid to speak to others?  I could only do what I knew how to... stand in the corner of a crowded room and watch people.  I must have looked like some kind of freak, not saying a word to anyone.  Some tried to come up to talk to me, but by the time I gathered the courage to say something, they left without saying anything at all.  And all I could think was, am I a person others will remember?
     Even though I already knew the answer to this question, I didn't acknowledge it at the time.  Instead, I remained in my corner and people watched.  I wanted to pick out the people in my mind who would be memorable.  So, I broke it down into the different types of people-- all types, I decided at the moment, that I didn't fit.
     The first memorable person in my mind was the one who had all the attention and was usually talking the most or the loudest.  I realized that these people had something to prove and only thrived when all the attention was on them at all times-- even on the way to the bathroom, constantly talking or complimenting someone else waiting for the recognition.  They were the life of the party and the very people I wanted to avoid at the time.  She made her way to me, made eye contact, and complimented me on my outfit hoping for me to say thank you and want to continue a conversation.  When I didn't do what she was hoping, the look on her face showed me that she was not amused by my lack of enthusiasm.
     The other group that I noticed were those that actually knew how to have conversations.  They fascinated me, because I had no idea where to start.  I eavesdropped on the conversations they were having and I was amazed by how they listened intently and spoke with a purpose. I considered them the most memorable out of the groups of people, because these types of people know how to read the other individual to make them comfortable.  They weren't in the center of the room, close to it though.  These were the individuals who noticed me, but waited for me to get comfortable enough to join the conversation.  They were filled with patience and compassion, thinking about how to fairly treat the other person while speaking their minds.
     The final group that I noticed is the group who resembled me.  We were shyer and more of "people watchers," occasionally engaging in conversations.  When we did, we didn't think much of our opinions, and were drowned out by those who wanted all the recognition instead.
     Keep in mind that these groups were "identified" during a point in my life where I was unsure how to begin conversations and was very self conscious.  Therefore, I tried to scope out the different types of people and what I thought made them memorable.  Back then, I thought you were memorable if you talked too much or too loudly, had intelligent meaningful conversations, or if you didn't speak at all.  Each group, to me, was memorable in their own way, because we remember at least one of each of these types of people.  I currently have a different perspective of how to become memorable which does include conversations and less judgement. 

Please see my other blog post here to see how I have recently identified what makes a person memorable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confronting Fears To Keep Moving Forward

I Am A Writer. And I Chose This Struggle.

How Do You Determine Your Self-Worth?