How Do You Determine Your Self-Worth?


Our daily lives are set in motion by how we see ourselves.  This is usually inclusive of both conscious and unconscious thoughts.  How we perceive ourselves can determine whether or not we feel we are deserving to take certain risks and can influence our reaction to choices that we make.  If we have strong positive self-worth, we are more likely to be satisfied with our decisions. In contrast, if we see ourselves in a negative light, we are less likely to find satisfaction in our choices and often find and define our lives as unstable. 

Thinking about this topic, I proposed some questions to myself. How does an individual measure their own self-worth? Is tangible or is it possible that we hold ourselves to society’s standards of what is acceptable and then make our assumptions?

It is no secret that people wear masks in public, around their families, or even perhaps when they are alone.  These masks are a reflection of how they view their own self-worth.  Some individuals wear a mask to cover their insecurities, this only means that they feel they cannot be themselves for fear of others judgement. 

For me, I always struggled with confidence and self-worth.  In retrospect, I see how I would purposely sabotage myself from taking risks or establishing friendships because I did not see the positivity I could bring to a person’s life. 

I find that it is important to take time to be in solitude and discover ourselves to truly determine our worth.  Solitude has helped me to do exactly this.  The best solution, in my opinion, is to sit in silence and meditate on yourself.  I write down all my positive qualities on a page, my negative qualities on a separate page, and finally, based off of the negative qualities, I propose solutions to myself.  

So now, I answer my questions from above. We measure our own self-worth through examining ourselves in both positive and negative qualities and proposing the solutions to continue to move forward.  Self-growth is exactly as it sounds, undefined or restricted by ourselves.  I think it is important to know that how we see ourselves is not always a reflection of how others see us.  Let this be a guide to strengthening your self-morale.  While we are all influenced by others standards, self-worth is only tangible within our minds.  How we define it genuinely does affect how we live our lives.

How will you measure your self-worth and how will you let this view affect your life?  Is your glass genuinely half full or half empty? 

I choose to see the positives, what do you choose?

Comments

  1. Self talk is very powerful - it can make or break us. I choose to believe what God says about me. He is never wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self talk is very powerful! So powerful in fact, I might be willing to write another post about it. It's important to look at yourself in the mirror and love what you see! It can be a journey sometimes, but it's worth the struggle!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confronting Fears To Keep Moving Forward

I Am A Writer. And I Chose This Struggle.