Find Yourself: It's A Journey!

I feel that I have lived most of my life on autopilot, just blindly living it for the wrong reasons. I have always listened to my family or those around me who I respected and thought "what they say is what I'm meant to do with my life."  Think about it, all throughout our lives up until a certain age, our parents are the ones making the choices for us whether we realize it or not.  They are the deciding factor in how we live our lives underneath their roofs.  This is the main reason why children move out of their parents houses... to live THEIR OWN lives.  I must admit, that when I turned 18 and began college, a new realization came over me.  I didn't have to live for others, but for myself.  Yet, I had no idea what I wanted to do and was still being controlled by my parents.
When I went to University, I began with a Psychology major.  I love seeing how others think, even though I do have a different mindset than most people.  I wanted to try to better understand others, but could not funnel myself into a minor degree which was very needed for this major.  Then, I dabbled in Communications Studies as a major and was completely turned off by how media focused it was.  I guess my perception of the major was completely different from what it actually was, and therefore I moved it to Sociology.  To be honest, I never really wanted to participate in any of these majors.  I wanted to major in International Relations and double minor in Psychology and Korean or Asian Studies, because that was where a genuine passion was.  I figured I would be able to work on my dreams of opening an orphanage or a place for adopted and misunderstood teenagers to come together to bond.  Yet, my idea was shot down by my family, and I had no say because they were paying for college.  I know what you are thinking, why didn't you take out student loans. I thought about it, but I realized that it was more harmful to me than helpful, because the amount of money I would have to pay back would be enormous.  My Sociology professors (who were much older I might add) were STILL paying them back.  That was not an option for me.  I refused to make my life harder than it already was. What made it hard?  I didn't know who I was or where I belonged… but what was really wrong in this situation was the notion that I wanted to belong.  I do not regret majoring in Sociology.  Although it was broad, I learned so many useful things about societies and the people that exist within them.  Yet, it's ironic that society believes that the major is too broad or is useless in trying to obtain a job in the "real world."
Even after University, there was a struggle to find myself and what I enjoyed or wanted to do for the rest of my life.   I tried so many different jobs to try to figure out what path would be best for me that I forgot to try to look at it from a perspective of what I was genuinely passionate about.  When I asked myself, I received an answer.  I just wasn’t happy.  In that moment, I realized what made me happy and my life changed drastically from that realization.  Now, I pursue my goals of writing for a living.  Although it is challenging, the reward is waiting for me, I am sure of it. 
I genuinely believe that life’s journey is about discovering yourself.  We never truly realize this until we are older and look back at our lives when we are older and review our journey.  Things that happened in our lives finally make sense and you understand why they happened when they did, which is something that is hard to understand in the moment.  I had to go through having most of my decisions made for me until I finally took matters about my happiness into my own hands.  The journey of finding yourself is about asking questions that you can only answer when you listen to yourself on a deeper level.  It is so easy to get caught up in the routine of everyday life, we can often forget the importance of this.  I am personally glad I have come to this realization and began my journey of discovering my genuine self through writing.   Even though it is a difficult path, I was never one to stray away from a challenge. 

I currently have 3 blogs, a wattpad, a podcast (which is coming soon to Kat’s Korner and Soundcloud), and a Fiverr site for freelance personalized writings for others. 

Transcending Thoughts

Kat’s Korner

Silence Is Golden

Wattpad

Personalized Writings





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confronting Fears To Keep Moving Forward

Growing Makes Strength

How Do You Determine Your Self-Worth?